FRCS (Glasgow), M.B., B.Ch., L.R.C.P. & S.I., B.A.O., B.A.
Inspired by working at Sa Kaeo Refugee Camp , in a 1200 bed thatched roof hospital without walls, with patients lying on mats on the dirt floors, Dr. Duplessie decided to become a physician. Sa Kaeo refugee camp was the first organized refugee relief camp established on the Thai-Cambodian border. Arriving with a Japanese medical team that were evacuated after only a week, Dr. Duplessie persevered. Learning about the stark reality of medical care for those living on the edge and the disparities in health care, he realized how medicine could make a difference. Charity has always been an important part of his career.
Dr. Duplessie went on to seek his professional training from:
• University of Notre Dame
• Royal College of Surgeons, in Ireland
• Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
• National Eye Institute, National Institute Of Health
• George Washington University Hospital
• Duke University Eye Center
• Summa Health Care
• University of South Florida Eye Institute
- Organized and produced First United States Lasik Course and Wet Lab.
- Editor of Refractive and Corneal Surgery which included first textbook chapter’s written on Myopic Lasik technique and on Hyperopic Lasik. Fast-tracking a scientific discovery that has improved the quality of life of more than 30 million patients.
- Conceived first textbook chapter on modern lamellar corneal transplants. One of first practices to offer lamellar corneal transplantation. Anticipated and recognized this innovation would become the most popular form of corneal transplantation.
- Developed, accredited, and licensed ambulatory surgery centers.
- Created one of largest private ophthalmology training programs in USA.
- Served as one of largest private donator’s of eye charity in USA.
- Expert in surgical efficiency; completed 100 eye surgeries in one day.
- Specialist in treatment of Ocular burns. Voice of America Middle East Special report
- Chief Executive Office experience: Ambulatory surgery center, Excimer laser center, Eye Charity, Ophthalmology Fellowship training program, Surgical and medical instrument company and keratorefractive surgery practice. Innovated to build startup companies that solve real problems and reach business goals.
- Authority on equipment acquisition and sales. Launched Swiss Instrument company. Swiss Instrument has been at the forefront of innovations – offering technologically advanced microsurgery instruments as well as innovative specialist equipment.
Dr. Michael Duplessie has performed over 11,000 cataract operations and over 30,000 LASIK procedures and has undergone laser eye surgery himself.He is qualified to provide the highest level of medical and surgical eye care.
Lasik Pioneer: Organizer of the first and largest United States Lasik Course and Wet Lab.
The first United States Lasik course popularized the name LASIK; at that time it was called E-IKM. Since the lasik course and textbook chapters, over 30,000,000 patients have had lasik.
Lasik: First textbook chapter on myopic lasik surgery
Corneal Pioneer : Editor of Advances in Refractive and Corneal Surgery
Lasik Pioneer: First textbook chapter on hyperopic lasik surgery
Dr Michael Duplessie is highly skilled in all types of laser surgery, including LASIK, custom corneal correction, and all-laser procedures.
He is one of the first US ophthalmologists to perform the SMILE and FLEX procedures. The SMILE procedure is a micro-incision lasik technique.If you are considering Lasik, you deserve the best.
Dr Michael Duplessie ’s record is 100 Lasik surgeries in one day.
Experience matters – trust your eyesight to an experienced surgeon.
Dr Michael Duplessie has completed three Fellowships. He has considerable experience in diseases of the cornea and external eye.
He is skilled in traditional corneal surgery including penetrating keratoplasty, pterygium surgery, cataract surgery, and the wide range of surgeries for ocular surface disease, including the management of tumors, stem cell deficiencies, and ocular surface reconstruction.
Pioneer Lamellar Corneal Transplant Surgery:
Dr Michael Duplessie performed one of first lamellar surgeries in the United States. He was selected to write the first textbook chapter published on modern lamellar surgery. He is an expert in the advanced techniques such as ALK, ALTK, DLEK, DSAEK, Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (DALK).
Specialist in Ocular Burns:
Dr Michael Duplessie has had extensive training in the treatment of ocular burns. An expert in ocular burns, his work was featured on Voice of America for his treatment of Iranian patients blinded by acid.
Dr Michael Duplessie created the largest private residency/fellowship program in the United States. Fifteen doctors a year from Canada, seeking the best training possible, traveled to the USA to train in Cornea and External Disease.
Provider of Eye Charity:
Dr Michael Duplessie is well known for his work in ophthalmology.